Thursday, February 14, 2019

Running To Feel Alive


"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction." - William James

On a chilly Saturday morning, about a year ago, I met two members of a local running group called Run Georgina for the first time, and I joined them on a run. At the time, I recalled the old Groucho Max maxim: "I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member."

Actually, never having joined a running group before, I didn’t know what to expect. I was unsure if my athletic performance would measure up.

Fortunately, the two Run Georgina members made me feel welcome. They accommodated my slow pace and even stopped several times so that I could catch my breath. On that first run, we completed a 10 km route along Lake Drive in Jackson’s Point. I have been a runner for more than 15 years and have had great running partners, but running with a group was a different experience altogether, and it felt good.

Throughout the winter and spring of 2018, one group run led to another, and another. Over the past year, I have participated in more than 160 group runs and met other members of Run Georgina, some of whom have become close friends. We have run in all seasons, in single-track forests, on ice-covered lakes, in the pouring rain and in the sweltering heat. There is something empowering about being outdoors and running with friends – it produces a sense of community and belonging, and all of life’s problems seem to fade away.

Reflecting on the past year, I am proud to say that Run Georgina has become like my second family, and I'm grateful to be part of such a congenial bunch. The group has inspired me to improve my running fitness beyond what I thought possible - to the point where I achieved a PB at a half marathon last October (2:05). Plus, I’ve registered for my first 30 km race (Around the Bay) in March and my first marathon in Toronto, in May. I'm not saying this to boast, but to share with others the benefits of stepping out and getting involved. Making a change in your life literally starts with taking that first step and, in this case, taking it with fellow runners has made the journey incredibly fun and enjoyable.

Starting a new venture or stepping outside your comfort zone can be scary. But, never let fear, apathy or age stand in your way: I'll be 60 this year, and I’ve never been fitter in my life. I’m looking forward to achieving new running milestones and helping others achieve theirs in the months and years ahead. Consistent running produces many positive benefits for one's mental and physical health. In my case, increasing the frequency, distance and intensity of my runs (and being part of a running community) has helped me cope with difficult personal circumstances, enriched my life immeasurably and given me a deeper appreciation for the sport.

Stacey Allison, the first female American climber to summit Mount Everest, once said, “You find your talent, and see how far it will take you. You do what makes you feel the most alive.” As you improve as a runner, and enjoy the fresh air, the beautiful surroundings and the fellowship of other runners, it will make you feel more alive.

For solo runners who have never run with others before, or who have done so sparingly, I urge you to make the effort to join a local running group. If you are new to the sport, consider registering for a running clinic in your area. You will form new friendships, enhance your health and enjoy the benefits of belonging to a wonderful and supportive community.

Last, but not least, a heartfelt thank you to three members of Run Georgina, in particular: Celine Tallian for her inspiration, encouragement and companionship; to Mike Bedley for his mentorship, feedback and wisdom; and to Mike Carroll for his kindness, humour and friendship; and to the other members of the group whom I’ve had to pleasure of befriending and running with over the past 12 months and who have encouraged me to keep reaching for the stars: Sue Noel, Valerie Garcia, Lorinda Mundy, Roger Mundy, Jason Girvan, Diana Scheddin, Alex Cebrynski, Erin Eastman, Dwayne Rogers, Andrew Rae, Robin Brunet, Gillian Hanlon, Robert Marinzel, Blair Aeiou-y, Sandi Porter-Thornton, Jeremy McLeod, Jeff Kloosterman, Lisa Groves Leask, Nathan Liss, Amy McIntyre, Sorin Petri, Barbara Wojdylo-Prud'homme, Tom Wilson, Ian Barron, Jim Willett, Esther Burger, MC Pace and Judy Breadner Colley.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




5 comments:

  1. Thank YOU for finding us Ross Fattori!
    Cheers to more great run challenges and adventures to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome all ‘round Ross! Great to have met you and enjoying watching your running evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very encouraging post Ross. You're a great running partner who helped me through one of my first 5k runs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing perseverance and strength. Beautiful article, Ross. Keep up the journey ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete

TV Appearance on Daytime Ottawa (Rogers)

A heartfelt thank you to Daytime Ottawa host, Derick Fage, and the entire volunteer crew for the opportunity to be on the show on Friday Apr...